Welcome to Asia Off the Grid!
This blog documents my Southeast Asia traveling adventure. After I saved enough money I decided to quit my job and embark on this trip of a lifetime. And the best part is that I convinced my sister and my best friend to join me as well! During this time we traveled to Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar.
I decided to make this blog after I returned home because I wanted to share my experiences with friends and family, but I also hope the information will be helpful to other travelers planning a trip to SEA. There are a lot of great resources out there between travelfish.org and lonely planet forums, but it can still be difficult to find details about certain transportation routes and itineraries. So a lot of my notes may be boring for the average person, but they are things that I would have liked to know while I was planning my trip (i.e. what time do buses leave, is it possible to go a certain route etc).
Now that I’m back people always ask me what was my favorite destination. And I honestly can’t decide because they’re all so different. Indonesia and Thailand have some of the nicest beaches in the world. Cambodia and Myanmar are home to some of the oldest and most well-preserved temples. The countryside of Laos and Malaysia was unexpectedly beautiful. Vietnam has amazing markets and Singapore has great food. However, after much consideration I’ve managed to narrow down my top 10 list of things to do in Southeast Asia (in no particular order).
Top 10 List:
1. Trekking to Inle Lake, Myanmar
2. Songkran Celebrations in Chiang Mai, Thailand
3. Relaxing on Long Beach in Koh Lanta, Thailand
4. The Gibbon Experience, Laos
5. Cruising through Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
6. Biking around temples in Bagan, Myanmar
7. Watching the sunrise over Mt Bromo in Java, Indonesia
8. Kayaking from Vang Vieng to Vientiane, Laos
9. Exploring the temples of Angkor in Cambodia
10. Long-tail boat rides at sunset in Krabi, Thailand